1. Student Pass For New Student – University of Malaya
All international students need a Student Pass to study in Malaysia. The Immigration Department of Malaysia issues and regulates the passes, but International Student Services Unit, University of Malaya manages your pass application.
The Student Pass lasts for up to a year – or the length of your study period if that’s less than a year – so you need to renew it annually if you’re studying with us for more than two semesters.
You can’t study in Malaysia as an international student, and we will NOT endorse your registration without a valid Student Pass. And, depending on the country you’re from, you might also need a Malaysian entry visa.
Approval for a Student Pass can take between 4-6 weeks. So make sure you apply as soon as you receive your offer letter from us. The following guidelines for eVisa Application Form will be your best starting point to refer.
2. Renewal of Your Student Pass
It is your duty to ensure that your Student Pass remains valid throughout your study. You will need to submit the renewal application no later than 3 MONTHS before the expiry of your current student pass. Failure to do so will cause an overstay and enforcement action by the Immigration Department should your renewal cannot be processed within the expiry of your Student pass.
For student pass renewal, you will need to provide the following:
3. Endorsement Transfer for Students
If you are issued with a new passport due to the damage / expiry of your current passport and your Student Pass is still valid for 30 days or more, you must ensure the valid student pass is endorsed in your new passport. Please refer to the following forms for the Student Pass sticker endorsement forms.
The following documents will be required for the transfer endorsement application:
1. Applicant or/and dependent’s ORIGINAL PASSPORT.
2. A copy of applicant or/and dependent’s NEW PASSPORT (all pages) including blank pages and copy must be made on one side of A4 size paper
3. A copy of applicant or/and dependent’s OLD PASSPORT (front page and current visa) copy must be made on one side of A4 size paper
4. A copy of STUDENT’S PASSPORT (front page and current visa) copy must be made on one side of A4 size paper (*applicable if the application is intended for the dependent only)
5. Payment of Transfer Endorsement Fees and Processing Fees.
4. Special Pass for Student
If your student pass renewal is in process / your student pass has expired for less than 7 days, you may be eligible to apply for Special Pass to ensure you are not overstayed whilst the application is being processed. You will be required to submit the following documents for Special Pass application:
1. Applicant ORIGINAL PASSPORT.
2. A COPY OF APPLICANT PASSPORT (front page and current visa) and copy must be made on one side of A4 size paper. Please tick (√) APPROPRIATE REASON to apply Special Pass:
3. Payment for Special Pass and Processing Fees
5. Cancellation of Student Pass
1. Graduate/ Completion of Studies from UM
2. Deferment of Studies
3. Withdrawal or Termination from studies
4. Change Programme or Change University