UNIVERSITI MALAYA POSTGRADUATE CANDIDATES STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE (SOP) FOR USE OF LABORATORY/STUDIO
CMCO - Conditional Movement Control Order
COVID-19 - Corona Virus Diseases-19
KKM - Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia
PPE - Personal Protective Equipment
PG - Postgraduate (Master and PhD candidates)
PhD - Doctor of Philosophy
RC - Responsibility Centre
SOP - Standard Operating Procedure
UM - Universiti Malaya
This standard operating procedure (SOP) provides guidance to UM postgraduate candidates when conducting research activities in the laboratory/studio during the CMCO period as announced by the Malaysian Government. This SOP should be read together with other SOP or guidelines that are currently enforced in the University.
In line with the decision made by the government to allow master and PhD candidates to continue their research activities, this SOP is prepared to ensure precautionary measures are in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19 during the conduct of research activities.
2. TYPES OF RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Research/testing activities
- Analytical services
- Research audit
- Maintenance of research equipment
- Calibration activities (measurement in research)
3. OPERATING HOURS
Laboratory/studio operating hours are stipulated in the Guidelines for Post-Operation CMCO Period (issued by the Human Resource Division, May 7, 2020) or other operating hours set by the respective RC and subject to any other directives issued by the University and the Government from time to time.
4. PROTOCOL AND WORK ETHICS
Postgraduate candidates will only be allowed to be in laboratory/studio once they have obtained official approval from the respective Dean/Director. Candidates are required to:
- submit application for PERMISSION to enter the laboratory/studio through their supervisor and Head of Department;
- take BODY TEMPERATURE each time before entering the building or the laboratory/studio (candidates with recorded temperature of 37.5o C and above will not be allowed to enter).
- carry their student matric card at all times while in campus.
- complete the Health Declaration Form once during the CMCO enforcement period or until further notice by the University.
- adhere to the following PREVENTIVE, health and safety measures:
- regularly clean and disinfect shared research laboratory/studio space and surfaces, equipment, including benches, desks, chairs, doorknobs, keyboards, phones etc;
- maintain PHYSICAL DISTANCING by keeping a minimum distance of 1 meter away from each other;
- wear face mask or any form of PPE in the laboratory/studio workspace and in public areas; clean hands frequently by using hand sanitisers or soap and water.
- not be present in campus or in the laboratory/studio should severe illness or symptoms such as fever/cold/cough/sore throat occur. If such symptoms occur, candidates must seek IMMEDIATE medical treatment.
- report IMMEDIATELY to the supervisor/department if the matter in paragraph (f) occurs;
- record ATTENDANCE using the attendance system provided by the department/faculty.
- not bring VISITOR/FAMILY MEMBER in campus and /or in the laboratory/studio.
- comply with all instructions provided in the laboratory/studio including:
- being aware of the limited number of staff/students in the laboratory/studio at all times;
- adhering to the lab/studio schedule that may be organised on a rotation basis;
- and ensuring proper airflow and space ventilation
- be CONTACTABLE/REACHABLE at all times.
5. VIOLATION OF RULES
Disciplinary action may be taken against candidates who fail to comply with the current regulations. Candidates are also subject to the Akta Universiti Dan Kolej Universiti 1971 and other regulations as may be prescribed from time to time and where applicable.
This SOP supplements and should be read together with other manuals and guidelines that are in effect in UM as follows:
- Standard Operation Procedure by the Malaysia National Security Council https://www.mkn.gov.my/web/ms/covid-19/.
- Guideline by the Malaysia Ministry of Health https://www.moh.gov.my/index.php/pages/view/2019-ncov-wuhan-guidelines,
- Prosedur Operasi Standard (SOP) – Langkah Kawalan dan Pencegahan Penularan COVID-19 di UM (Bahagian Keselamatan & Kesihatan Pekerjaan dan Alam Sekitar (OSHE), UM).
- Guide for WORKING IN LAB after MCO dan UM Expanded Lab Safety Manual After MCO Is Lifted (During the COVID-19 Infection Period)
- Garis Panduan Sektor R&D Dan Makmal-Makmal Ujian oleh MOSTI (4 Mei 2020) berkuatkuasa mulai 13 Mei 2020.
AASC LastEdited 1.6.2020
( Sila klik sini untuk print )
Last Updated: 04/06/2020